Sunday, December 20, 2009

What happened?

I am finding it hard to believe that at this time ten years ago, I was planning a trip to South Beach to welcome in the year 2000, relieved and happy that I'd escaped being on call for any Y2K problems that might arise at work. And thinking about going platinum to welcome in the new millenium (I did).

I lived in San Francisco. It was a few short months before I bought my first home. The stock market was soaring. I was in love.

A year later I was single and still missing the man who'd also been my best friend.

And a year after that America was still recovering from the collective shock of 9/11. I was looking for a new home in Portland, feeling fortunate in a bad economy to be relocated to Oregon when my company closed up shop in the Bay Area.

In these past ten years I've gone to Australia and Germany twice each, England several times, and visited The Netherlands, France, and Italy. After a ten year hiatus, I returned to Mexico for the first time in 2007 and have been back many times since then. I've had some amazing trips and unforgettable moments with friends. I've loved again. And I've lost two special family members.

After moving to Portland, I eventually returned to SF. And then moved on to Vegas. And now I'm back in Portland. I quit my job before being clear about what I was doing next, and I'm still figuring it all out as I go. The economy is bleak once again, and each downturn we've had this decade has increasingly revealed signs that America's economic problems are fundamental and not the result of a simple boom and bust cycle. We've grown used to things that are unsustainable; we've become blinded to what's real.

I find it hard to believe that the aughts are coming to an end, that 2010 is around the corner, that this is the 21st century. Like many I know, I find myself thinking: it wasn't supposed to be like this, right?

I'm still muddling through. For the most part, we all are. But the problems we're facing together grow bigger and bigger: an economy that depends on China loaning us money, a climate that is gradually shifting toward one less hospitable, a creaking infrastructure that becomes increasingly vulnerable to collapse, near gridlock in Washington. More people. Limited resources. Technological solutions that have unintended consequences.

Hope and promise still exist, but shams and illusions and stubborness are obstacles in an interconnected world that loom larger than they once did when communities--and nations--were more self-reliant. We're all in this together yet still looking out for #1.

These thoughts are not meant to be wholly pessimistic, but where we turn down a new path--and whether we can muster the will to do so--are answers that I don't have, answers that I'm not seeing anyone offer.

LAST NIGHT I watched Ben-Hur, and afterwards I went to the web to research a simple question: what is the meaning of Christ's crucifixion? In an era of Google and Wikipedia, I've grown used to finding a quick, unambiguous answer to most questions. Last night's query was not such a case. And that reminded me of my general belief about the Bible, the one that's reinforced every time I stay in a hotel and open a drawer to leaf through the copy left by the Gideons. How does John 3:16:
For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
coexist with all of the apocalyptic fire and thunder of Revelation? How does a God who so loves the world destroy it?

My thought about the Bible is this: you can use it as a handy guide to pick and choose people to throw stones out. Or you can use it as a path to inquiry: what can I learn from these contradictions? How will I live my life? What kind of person will I be? It's an inquiry with no clear answers; with answers that mostly produce more questions. It's easier to throw stones or watch TV or vote "no." But too many stones and too much TV and too many "no's" give you a decade like the one we're now completing.

All of this was triggered by a couple of articles I've just read, one looking at President Obama's year of compromises and diminished goals (wasn't Reagan partially successful because he drew a hard line and then declared victory with whatever compromise resulted?), the other describing Tiger Woods' double-life as symbolic of so much of what's befallen us in these past ten years.

And before reading those articles I spent an evening having interesting conversations at a holiday party, mostly with people I didn't know that well. The contrast of the experience there and my thoughts at home about the wider world lead me to think that we humans are best in small groups. I haven't found a societal problem yet that hasn't been made worse by the sheer number of people on the planet.

Labels: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger TomS said...

Michael,

What a moving and reflective piece of writing.

You are a person who cares so much about the world around him, and I feel so much sadness that you are searching the world, and your soul, and not finding adequate solutions to the seemingly insurmountable obstacles the world has placed before us.

I wish I could offer these solutions to you...to all of us who care as well... All I can do is tell you that over the last few months, as I have followed your writing, I have developed a true respect for you, and I sense that you are close to your right path, even though it seems impossibly out of reach for now.

I don't know how much comfort you can take in that...just know that your words are not unheeded, and you must not feel alone.

Often, this time of year creates peculiar feelings of sentimentality and emptiness... and just surviving the bleak weather, and engaging in obligatory and furious holiday-related activity, leaves us little time to think things through, making us tired, physically and spiritually.

People like you (and I hope, me too) care enough to dwell on issues that are important, and we advocate reasonability, but issues are always complicated by greedy self-interest or lack of understanding.

Our culture has given us permission to care a little less about others; people do seem more self-centered than ever. I see lots of people unable to see beyond their i-Pods, computers, or blackberries...

I've even questioned the time I myself have spent writing items to be published instantly for the whole world to review.

I have bantered with you often, Michael, just to have counterpoint enough to make the dialog interesting...But I want you to know that it is always in the spirit of friendly debate... you have given me a lot of inspiration, and I often cite you as a resource in my own writing..

It is unlikely that I will ever have a real opportunity to repay you for providing that inspiration; but know that if you need to get away for a change of perspective, you have a friend in Chicago who welcomes you!

I sort of agree with you that people function better in smaller groups. There are a lot of people with competing and contradictory needs and interests....how to deal with it all? Maybe, we need to seek our best small groups, and be extraordinary within them...

Or, in our case....maybe we can make our best mark through words...

The best advice I will offer, is also one of the best lines in "Precious" (which I finally saw last night and loved..you were right..)

That advice is:

Write...

Thinking of you,

Tom
http://tom-samp-journal.blogspot.com
(drop by my pages some time!)

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home