Sunday, September 14, 2008

What to think about during Wall Street's financial meltdown

In the midst of our growing financial mess, think about these quotes and the man who said them: John McCain.

"I am not an expert on Wall Street."

(Video link)

From a January 2008 article on McCain and the economy (my emphasis):

... On numerous occasions over the course of the campaign, McCain has volunteered that he is unsatisfied with his lack of knowledge about aspects of economics.

"I'm going to be honest: I know a lot less about economics than I do about military and foreign policy issues. I still need to be educated," McCain told the Wall Street Journal in late November.

In December he said, "The issue of economics is not something I've understood as well as I should," as the Globe reported on its "Political Intelligence" blog at the time.

On at least one occasion, McCain has raised the matter himself. On Nov. 10, while traveling through New Hampshire on his Straight Talk Express bus, McCain was asked what he would seek in a vice presidential candidate if nominated.

After mentioning the ability of a potential running mate to replace the president, McCain said, "You also look for people who maybe have talents you don't, or experience or knowledge you don't, as well."

"What are those qualities that you don't - that you wouldn't mind complementing?" asked David Brooks, a columnist for The New York Times.

McCain paused. "Uh, maybe I shouldn't say this, but, somebody who's really well grounded in economics," he said.

"I don't believe we're headed into a recession."

(Video link)

And then, of course, there are the people he's had advising him on the economy, like Phil Gramm. "Nation of whiners," indeed.

Tell that to Ben Bernanke. Or, for that matter, working Americans:

(Video link)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home