Thursday, December 31, 2009

Iran, Islam, and our future

Andrew Sullivan wrote today about the difficulties of preventing Iran from becoming a nuclear state and the challenges that the West faces as the Muslim world finds its way in the 21st century. Like him, I'm not highly optimistic. And I found some of my own thoughts echoed here:
I write this at the end of a decade that changed my politics. They changed because reality shifted. Globalization, technology and fundamentalism have reordered our post-Cold War world. The advantage lies with the asymmetrical, the nimble, the long tail, the lone actor. There is nothing the modern state can really do to stop this, and if it tries to assume the powers to have a chance, it will cease to resemble anything like the democracy or republic the Founders envisaged. We can panic and construct a Leviathan so powerful and invasive it will in the end destroy our freedoms, or we can hang in, do all we can to defuse ideological and theological tension, construct more effective means of defense and security, and outlast the Islamist wave even through what will be its many outrages and offenses.

This would be appeasement if strong military action were an effective alternative and could defeat the enemy. But if we have learned anything these past few years, it is that the mightiest military in the world cannot stop a lone fanatic eager to kill himself in order to kill countless others in a religious mission. Even if we were to transform Afghanistan, a Yemen would soon emerge. Even now after spending trillions on Iraq, we cannot stop al Qaeda returning when we leave to exploit sectarian divides.

What we need is sobriety, stoicism, vigilance and a determined defense of our values and the rule of law. We cannot save our civilization by junking it, by pre-emptive wars and torture and near-dictatorial executive power. And we cannot save it by politicizing every attack, thereby magnifying the power of one tiny terrorist with burnt balls to create havoc and division in the free world.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger TomS said...

I can testify for my own politics changing through the decade, like Sullivan describes.
I was a conservative voter, content to fill my non-working hours with mindless television, empty activity, and relative ignorance.
But I could not ignore my anxious discovery, after 9/11, that I did not possess the knowledge I needed to understand, and maybe even survive, a world where it was possible my freedoms would be lost.
I opened my eyes to the shaky foundations of our culture, and I resolved to find a way to learn about Islam, the Middle east, and history, and discover ways to make a difference as my views radically changed. (I started by cancelling all but my basic cable TV service and started reading hungrily.)
This was a great post and I thank you for including the article.
Happy New Year Michael---may we see some new and positive direction in 2010.
~Tom

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home