Saturday, November 22, 2008

Our energy future

My belief is that addressing our energy future has to be one of Obama's top one or two priorities.

Obama's transition policy team seems to agree. They are sharing information on energy issues and soliciting feedback here.

Here is my submission:

Hello!

I attended the National Clean Energy Summit that Senate Majority Leader Reid helped to put together here in Las Vegas, and I've written about energy issues on my blog. I grew up in farming country, I've been a lifelong environmentalist, and I've been working for an Obama presidency for a year! Yes we can!

I believe that addressing America's energy future is the number one long term issue facing the nation. Without a plan for moving to sustainable sources, our nation will inevitably hit a wall that will reduce our economic well-being and our national security.

The American southwest has been called the Saudi Arabia of solar energy. The BLM has put in place a moratorium on new solar projects in Nevada while a comprehensive environmental impact guidelines are created. As an environmentalist, I understand the need for this framework. But I also know that delaying our transition away from fossil fuels only increases the magnitude of climate change and the corresponding impacts to our farm economy and natural environment.

What will Obama do to ensure that we move as quickly as possible to begin leasing land for the development of large scale solar thermal plants here in Nevada? And what is his strategy for jumpstarting a new energy grid to get clean energy from places like the southwest to the cities where most Americans live?

A second major concern I have--and an area on which I disagree with Obama--is the use of corn ethanol as a gasoline alternative. I believe this poorly thought out decision has led to an increase in food prices, and it has little if any net impact on CO2 emissions. And we must move cautiously on cellulosic ethanol, as some of the proposed feed crops are invasive species. The last thing we need is another kudzu!

Here is a link to a letter I wrote my Congressional representation on the subject of ethanol.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home