Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Strange Days (and your footprint) on Planet Earth

My dad is watching it as I type, but I've only heard interviews about it on NPR. What is it? It's a program from National Geographic called Strange Days on Planet Earth. Apparently it's the brainchild of Ed Norton, and while I thought it was new, it's actually from 2005 (and available for rental).

One fact I've picked up from listening to the interviews: overfishing is causing unexpected effects, like dwindling populations of large inland predators. Why? Coastal communities that depend on fish for their food supply are having to hunt inland more often, cutting in to the other predators' own hunting ranges.

Strange days indeed...

I HAD MY OWN DOCUMENTARY IDEA a few months ago but National Geographic beat me to the punch on this one, too: Human Footprint. It explores how much stuff a typical person consumes in their lifetime. Be afraid...

To reduce my own footprint, I found a website that helps to deal with the annoying pile of catalogs that keeps arriving. I just signed up so can't report on how effective it is, but I'll let you know. It's called Catalog Choice.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home