Monday, May 02, 2011

Making sense of it all

I thought Nicholas Kristof's thoughts on the aftermath of Osama bin Laden's death were fairly insightful.

And this post "Killing a Monster" about the reaction of several New York City Buddhists helped to clarify my own thinking about where I stand. I liked the notion that monsters don't exist independently of the world around them, and it was good to reflect on the idea that all of our actions have consequences. But this quote from Ganden Thurman of Tibet House spoke to the fact that we live in a real world... a world with constraints that we can't always overcome:
Buddhism is about improving the way we make choices. Sometimes one’s choices are limited.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I love the acknowledgement that sometimes our choices are limited...I also love that he mentioned that buddhists aren't necesarily paciifists

5:55 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Life has constraints so sometimes we have no choices. Certain actions have to be taken. These actions can be understood, but cannot be justified.

11:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home