Monday, May 02, 2011

What to say

Hearing the news tonight, I found myself wanting to honk my horn, to yell, to make noise. And, ultimately, to be around other people. Unlike 9/11, when I wanted nothing other than to be alone, Osama bin Laden's death was an occasion to be spent in the company of others... in public.

So I made my way to a bar, a friendly place where I knew I'd know people. To revel in the demise of a man who has embodied evil for the last ten years.

To those who don't understand the celebratory mood that has broken out around America tonight, know that it has to do with more than bin Laden's death. It's about release, a hope and desire, if even for a moment, that we might escape the tragedy, pain, and unexpected difficulties of the first decade of the 21st century. Tonight we want to believe that this has all been a false start; that life might have been different had not bin Laden sent those planes crashing into the Twin Towers and the Pentagon.

We want to believe that it didn't have to be like this.

And so, for now, for tonight, I honked my horn, and I screamed in my car. And I'm glad that our Muslim president Barack Hussein Obama took out Osama bin Laden.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home