Saturday, May 23, 2009

Yum...

Last night I went to my friend Jen's barbecue. My contribution was corn on the cob, half grilled in foil with sprigs of rosemary and the other half grilled in the husk and served with cilantro pesto, chipotle aioli, and cotija cheese. That aioli had quite a kick! ;-)

Corn on the cob always reminds me of an old Father Guido Sarducci commentary on Saturday Night Live's Weekend Update. Through the miracle of the internet, I just found the transcript from the May 12, 1979 episode when it appeared:
I read about this other planet, too, in the same book. [ holds out his fists ] It's-a like, the sun is-a here and the Earth is-a here.. and on-a the other side-a of the sun, there's this other planet we can't see, you know, because the sun is-a blocking it from us.. but it's-a just-a like-a the Earth in every single way, it's like a mirror planet of Earth. There's only one difference, and it's that they eat-a corn on-a the cob-a like-a this.. [ demonstrates eating corn on the cob North-South instead of West-East ] That's it! That's the only difference. I'm not going there, you know, it's-a too messy. I'm used to eating it-a like-a this.. [ demonstrates West-East eating structure ] I just don't want-a change, habit like.
My god, thirty years ago!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Ry said...

Wow, this sounds delicious.

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home