Saturday, May 16, 2009

The benefit of the doubt

I'm willing to give President Obama just that: the benefit of the doubt. As he confronts the difficulties and confounding shades of gray of governing--as contrasted with the clarity of campaigning--I know that he will make decisions that don't make everyone happy.

And "No, Ryan," I'm not cynical over DADT as I never expected Obama to turn over the ban on gays serving in the military right away.

My one issue: we can't kill civilians so blithely. If we're going to use our military in Afghanistan and Pakistan, they have to stop killing so indiscriminately. On that I'm unwilling to let Obama off the hook.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Ry said...

Oh Michael, ever the optimist. *sigh* What will we do with you? ;)

(Seriously, I agree with you actually. He should take his time with DADT, to do it right. It'd be nice though if he would send signals to the brass, etc., to quit with the discriminate firing of Arabic-trained 'anal/linguists'. John Stewart had a good spot on the absurdity of the practice the other day.)

((Still, I defend my cynicism, even towards people I admire.))

(((But nice to see I can still goad you into an online response!))) :P

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home