Saturday, May 16, 2009

Song of the day

My favorite Smiths song... "Paint a Vulgar Picture."

(Video link)

For anyone who grew up on the outside looking in, wanting and believing in something more, and yet growing old to find that so much that was longed for is hollow, and that maybe, just maybe, it was that moment of crossing the threshold from the outside to the inside that was the moment... the lyrics to this song have meaning:

I touched you at the soundcheck
You had no real way of knowing
In my heart I begged "Take me with you ...
I don't care where you're going..."
But to you I was faceless
I was fawning, I was boring
Just a child from those ugly new houses
Who could never begin to know
Who could never really know
...
I walked a pace behind you at the soundcheck
You're just the same as I am
What makes most people feel happy
Leads us headlong into harm
So, in my bedroom in those 'ugly new houses'
I danced my legs down to the knees
But me and my 'true love'
Will never meet again ...

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home