Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I just wrote a few newspaper editors...

And this is what I had to say:

Editor,

Never in my life have I seen someone that I had admired go on to so utterly lose my respect.

In 2000, I was impressed by John McCain's character and forthrightness, so much so that I even allowed myself to imagine a bipartisan presidential ticket that would really bring change to Washington.

It's not so much that eight years have made the difference; rather, it's the last six months when McCain seems to have forsaken every principle that he once stood for.

I have sadly watched as his campaign has become increasingly cynical and deceptive. He has repeatedly taken issues and grossly distorted them, then thrown another negative ad on television.

One example: the ad in which he accuses Obama of advocating sex ed for kindergarteners when the objective of the Illinois legislation in question was to help protect children from sexual predators.

But his new ad that suggests Obama was being sexist by referring to McCain's economic policies as "putting lipstick on a pig" strains even my vivid imagination for how low a candidate will stoop to scare voters.

The U.S. is facing a set of huge challenges to our economy, our environment, and our national security. I can only assume that McCain's sophmoric and cynical attacks mean that he and his party have no solutions to offer.

There's an old adage, which I hope I can use without it being twisted to mean something else: "If you're not part of the solution, get out of the way." This American wants some answers about our future, and only one ticket is offering them.

You can write your own letter here.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home