Sunday, August 10, 2008

We are hypocrites

Having the U.S. ambassador to the U.N. chastise Russia for engaging in "regime change" in Georgia is rather hypocritical, no?

But having said that, I'm just as opposed to Russia's actions in South Ossetia as I was opposed to the U.S. invasion of Iraq.

And while I didn't back Bush on Iraq, at least he made an attempt to garner some international support. He wasn't very successful, but he went in with some cover from the U.N. (Illegitimate, perhaps, considering the deceptive tactics he used.)

Russia hasn't, to my knowledge, even made that attempt. Their behavior is eerily reminiscent of Nazi Germany's as described in The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich.

Not that I think Russia has any plans to pursue global dominence Soviet-style. Rather, I'm simply noting the similarities I see in their behavior to historical precedent.

UPDATE

Some background on the conflict here (scroll down past the reports of early fighting to get to the historical notes).

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home