Thursday, January 31, 2008

An open letter to February 5th voters

Hello, voter, how's it going?

If you live in a state that is holding a primary or caucus on February 5th, you're likely being inundated with information: ads, mailers, phone calls. Trust me, I know: Nevada had it's primary on January 19th.

And by all rights, I should be taking it easy now. I've already caucused. I've already gone door-to-door, day after day, educating voters about the process and the candidate I'm supporting. I've bought my shirts and buttons and gone to my rallies.

But while Nevada is over, the job of selecting the Democratic nominee continues. And while my opinion doesn't carry the weight of Ted Kennedy's, I believe passionately that Barack Obama has the unique skills and temperament to bring Americans together and lead the country in a new direction. And so I continue to speak out.

FOR MANY YEARS I have bemoaned what seems to have been lost in Washington, D.C.; indeed, what seems to have been lost across the country: a sense of the common good, of our collective heritage and of our shared future.

Only one candidate in either party embodies this sense as a core value of his or her campaign: Obama.

Only one Democratic candidate looks beyond this election as simply being about returning a Democrat to the White House; only one believes that this is an opportunity to build a new nationwide majority that moves beyond partisan politics. Obama.

Only one person vying to occupy the White House wants to bring all the rest of us along, to re-connect Americans with the promise of our Constitutional government and re-ignite a shared sense of responsibility for solving the challenges confronting us. Obama.

Over the past few years I have become increasingly pessimistic about our future. I have worried about threats to our civil liberties. I've worried about our ability to continue to grow our economy in a world of limited resources. And I've worried about my nieces growing up in a world that would be far bleaker than the one I grew up in.

And then, last November, I started listening to Barack Obama as he spoke about why he is running for the Presidency. And somehow, against all the odds, I began to hope again. And for the first time since 1992, I am voting for someone, voting for something. In 1996 I voted for Nader, a protest vote against Bill Clinton who I had supported in '92. My votes for Gore and Kerry were essentially anti-Bush.

But like so many who have been electrified by Obama's message of possibility and transformation and change and MOVING FORWARD, for the first time in my life a candidate has me believing in our ability to transcend our differences and not simply "beat the other guy."

I MADE MY DECISION to support Obama in November; at the time I had no big beef with any of the other candidates. But as I have watched the campaign proceed, I've become increasingly disenchanted about the character and behavior of Hillary Clinton. Initially I was primarily concerned about the baggage that she carries: I know of few Democrats who will mobilize and energize Republicans as Hillary will. And quite frankly, it seems that her answer to that concern is that she "knows how to fight them."

To me, that's not the right answer.

I've seen no attempt on her part to address this issue in any manner that reaches out to those who hold negative views of her. Perhaps, as I think may be the case, she assumes that those people have made up their minds about her and nothing she can say or do will change that.

But my assessment of what she has to offer as a President has taken a turn toward the negative. I believe that she has unfairly distorted Obama's record. I believe she has found herself sacrificing some of her core principles in the pursuit of political gain. And I have been offended by the sight of a former President so blatantly breaking tradition and campaigning so negatively against a fellow Democrat.

AND SO I CAUCUSED FOR OBAMA. He is the best American running for the White House. He has the greatest capacity to bring us together as a country. And he has the best chance of any Democrat to beat a Republican in November precisely because he appeals to many Republicans, not to mention Independents.

SO NEXT TUESDAY: I urge you to vote or caucus for Obama. Let yourself believe again in what is possible. Be willing to reach for more than what the cynics tell you can be achieved.

And make a difference... let your voice change the world.

Yes we can! Si, se puede!

Smiling,
m

P.S. It's hard to pick one Obama speech to showcase here, but listen again to his powerful victory speech in South Carolina.

P.P.S. For more specifics on where Obama stands on a variety of issues, check out this page or go to his website.




Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Michael - I share your passion for change but unlike you, I am beginning to get worried that so many people are interested in the "change" Obama has to offer.

Bush has traumatized us and I worry now we're responding by choosing a completely untested, inexperienced, celebrity candidate.

Barack talks good. He's a hell of a guy, but my concern is two-fold.

1) I don't believe any candidate on either side (except Huckabee) will make it worse for us gays...however, as a US Veteran, I worry about Obama yanking troops out of Iraq and causing the region to implode. I haven't heard an intelligent solution from Barack to pull our troops out - Hillary seems to have one, plus she has Bill. McCain also has one.
2) Its not popular to say in liberal circles, but I'm also worried about my money. I worked my ass off to get where I am today, but Obama will likely hurt single, high earning, middle class individuals. Hillary takes a more moderate view.

My interests are simple. We need someone to fix our economy and we need someone to pull us out of Iraq gracefully. I don't think Obama has the experience to do so - and I'd rather not use the Bush Jr. model and trust he'll surround himself with good advisors.

In 1992, Hillary said - a vote for Bill was a 2 in 1 vote. I think that's even more true today and Bill is more respected internationally than many other American politicians. He can build bridges in ways few can. With Hillary, we get Bill.

AND, because of the war - until I hear Obama speaking of an intelligent plan to get us out of Iraq and rebuild our ties with other nations (outside of meaningless rhetoric) - I am even considering crossing party lines if he gets the nomination.

Who knows if I'll actually feel that way during the general election if Obama actually gets th nomination and McCain isn't my first choice, but he's no Bush and his priorities and campaign bullshit makes more sense to me than the empty, dynamic, spin that comes from Obama.

As an aside, funnily enough - I also met a McCain republican on the train that said the opposite - she is a McCain republican, but would be willing to cross party lines for Obama.

Whatever the outcome - this is election will change the country and will be an improvement on the status quo.

Much love and respect - Corey

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home