Saturday, January 17, 2009

Late adopter

I started working in Oracle's video server group in 1994. In 2000 the division was sold to nCUBE (now Arris) whose focus was selling video-on-demand solutions to cable companies. I remained in that industry until 2006, and I was always amused by how little television my co-workers and I watched. Maybe it was due to being surrounded by televisions and cable equipment all day at work; maybe it was a vague sense that what we were doing for a living was enabling people to be couch potatoes.

I continued to watch little television after I left my job and didn't even have cable the year and a half I lived in San Francisco. And for the past year I've mostly watched the debates and election news coverage.

But I needed a new television for my new apartment, and I bought a Panasonic 42" plasma screen (got a great deal on it at Sears last month!). And between my appreciation of the crystal clear picture and knowledge that the inauguration was coming up, I decided to upgrade my cable service to HD and get a Cox DVR.

It's amusing that I waited so long since I used to test interactive television technology on just this kind of a set-top box. And I'm surprised about how excited I am to be using it to schedule recording of some of the shows I like... like, duh, I was doing this at work six or seven years ago!

JUST WATCHED OBAMA IN BALTIMORE on CNN's HD channel. And programmed my DVR to record Tuesday's inauguration. :-)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home