Saturday, November 29, 2008

More addictive than cocaine

I've discovered Spore, a very cool computer game that spans game genres. (I'm not normally a gamer; this is the first title I've bought since 2002.) I was intrigued by the game because you begin with a single-celled organism and guide its evolution into a creature, and from there through tribal, "civilized," and spacefaring phases. Here's one of my creatures (though hardly the most lethal ;-):

Very addicting. (And yes, I've got my nerd side. :-)

I'm a Brian Eno fan, so the music composed for the game was definitely a plus:

The procedurally-generated music for the game was designed by Brian Eno, an artist famous among other things for his ambient music. The music is generated by the editors depending on which parts (eg: limbs, battle items, hands, feet, etc) are placed on the creature, vehicle or building. For example, something dangerous like a battle spike will give the music more of a ferocious feel, while something peaceful like a herbivore's mouth will give the music a more relaxed feel. Music can also be created by users in the form of a short national anthem for their civilization or empire.
SPEAKING OF ENO, one of my favorite CDs is the Bang on a Can version of his Music for Airports.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home