Thursday, November 06, 2008

Expectations... and optimism

This morning the New York Times has a piece about the high expectations voters have for the incoming Obama administration.

And I read an email from one of my best friends, a Republican with a libertarian streak, who has concerns about Democratic overreach as well as the fact the rights of gays and lesbians were voted away by Californians on Tuesday.

My response:
One thing I noticed while reflecting on this is that I actually have very few policy expectations for an Obama administration. I expect that he'll make an effort on the areas he has talked about, such as energy policy, healthcare, and education (and while I'd personally benefit from healthcare reform, I think the top priority should be energy policy because I think the future of our country truly depends on a new energy path).

But despite thinking that's what he'll do, I'm just happy to have him in office as much for his temperament than anything. He is smart and interested in the things that government does, not to mention the world in general. That doesn't mean he will be successful. But it does mean that he is someone that I can understand.

And somehow that simple change--that I can listen to this man and hear my own thinking reflected in his words--gives me optimism. Over the past few years I've grown quite pessimistic about the prospects of the human race to find our way out of the mess we've made for ourselves: overpopulation, dwindling resources, a consumer-oriented culture, an environment way out of balance...

But I guess what I've learned from thinking about this is that optimism arises out of the belief that our problems are understood. Knowing (or believing) that Obama "gets" the world the way I do gives me hope that that common understanding is a starting point to meet our challenges. It's when we have no belief that we are understood that we lose all hope for transformation.

AS FOR GAY MARRIAGE, I have to admit to feeling in some strange way a little guilty. Guilty that I wasn't in California to participate in the battle; guilty that I was focused on Obama and not prop 8. For me, it was one of those times where I saw the situation this way: when your house is burning down, the fire is your priority. I've come to feel like the entire country has been threatened these past few years. I am thankful that I know so many people who put so much energy into making a stand against discrimination.

It is utterly wrong that one group can take another's rights. Perhaps the fact that this has happened will serve as an example that will move the converstation in a more positive direction.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home