Saturday, June 28, 2008

Stonewall 39

Today is the 39th anniverary of New York City's Stonewall Riots. That's the reason so many cities (e.g. San Francisco, New York) are celebrating gay pride this weekend (and why June is gay pride month in most places that have one).

Shortly after I began clubbing in the 90's, Club Universe became the place to be on Saturday nights in SF. It had an amazing eight year run which came to an end when the building was sold in 2002.

My favorite club, however, occupied the same space but was on Sunday nights: Pleasuredome. Nothing since has ever quite equaled one of those perfect nights at Pdome. Sigh.

Someone hung banners from SF City Hall his weekend in honor of Pleasuredome and Neil Lewis, a long-time resident DJ there. Neil died in March, 2004.

SF City Hall, June 28, 2008

After his death, I sent this email to a few close friends:

Reflecting on Neil's death, I remembered this poem that someone sent me several years ago:

My Sweet, Crushed Angel

You have not danced so badly, my dear,
Trying to hold hands with the Beautiful One.

You have waltzed with great style,
My sweet, crushed angel,
To have ever neared God's Heart at all.

Our Partner is notoriously difficult to follow,
And even His best musicians are not always easy
To hear.

So what if the music has stopped for a while.

So what
If the price of admission to the Divine
Is out of reach tonight.

So what, my dear,
If you do not have the ante to gamble for Real Love.

The mind and body are famous
For holding the heart ransom,
But Hafiz knows the Beloved's eternal habits.

Have patience,

For He will not be able to resist your longing
For long.

You have not danced so badly, my dear,
Trying to kiss the Beautiful One.

You have actually waltzed with tremendous style,
O my sweet,
O my sweet, crushed angel.

-- Hafiz
And also this, from Dancer from the Dance:
What I said earlier was wrong: We don't have to do anything with our lives. As long as you are alive, there's an end to it. I feel like a child who's been awakened from his sleep and taken downstairs in someone's arms to see the party and the guests. Who knows how long it will last, who knows when that considerate adult will send you back to bed and and life will once more be that poignant band of light beneath the door, beyond which all the voices, laughter, and happiness lie? No, darling, mourn no longer for Malone. He knew very well how gorgeous life is--that was the light in him that you, and I, and all the queens fell in love with. Go out dancing tonight, my dear, and go home with someone, and if the love doesn't last beyond the morning, then know I love you.
Good night, my friends.
Tonight in SF there is a special Club Universe reunion night (at an alternate location, the original 177 Townsend warehouse space has been replaced by high-rise condos).

To all my friends in SF, NY, and wherever there is pride: Go out dancing tonight, my dears, and go home with someone, and if the love doesn't last beyond the morning... then know I love you.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home