Friday, January 18, 2008

Back to school

It's official, I am a student again!

On Wednesday I registered for my first semester at the College of Southern Nevada. Just going through the course catalog took me back to my undergraduate days... as did standing in long, slow moving lines three times and needing to get departmental sign-offs in order to get the classes I wanted.

So after 18 years in the software industry and a short, aborted run as a life coach, I've decided to make a big career change and go into health care. Specifically, I want to get a Master's of Physician Assistant Studies and work as a P.A.

I've been interested in health, nutrition, and biology since I was a kid. In grade school I remember checking out a book about the human body on several occasions. My first job was delivering newspapers when I was 13, and I spent much of my earnings on vitamins and other supplements. In high school I considered becoming a doctor but made a turn onto the computer path when I was a senior.

I flirted again with the idea my sophomore year at Stanford, taking courses in human biology and pyschology, but I think I was too focused on evolving from a small town boy into something more cosmopolitan at that point to go the intensive pre-med route.

But I never lost interest in the physical and mental miracles of the human body and mind, and when I looked through the curriculum for a local P.A. program, much of it sounded like articles in my recreational reading list. And the skills I developed as a life coach will lend themselves well to listening to patients.

Classes start next week (on my birthday, in fact). I'm taking courses in biology, organic chemistry, and physics--all pre-requisites for the P.A. program and all with labs.

Thanks to Tommy for being such an inspiration over the years... he has had three different careers in the 14 years I've known him (reservations manager for a Four Seasons hotel, stock broker at Morgan Stanley, ICU nurse), and his experience in the healthcare industry helped me to make my own choice.

And muchisimo gracias to Victor for all of his love, support, and prodding. Without him I'd still probably be floundering about making up my mind. (And who knew I had to move to Vegas of all places in order to get serious about my future?)

Off to buy my books now! (And maybe a hip, new backpack. :-)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home