Wednesday, November 14, 2007

AIDS/LifeCycle recap

And yes, this is months overdue. But in a nutshell: the AIDS/LifeCycle from San Francisco to Los Angeles was amazing. It was probably the most physically challenging thing I've ever taken on, largely due to the fact that I pushed myself to cover the actual 545 miles of the ride as fast as I could so that I could maximize the amount of time when I a) wasn't sitting on that frighteningly painful bicycle seat and b) was socializing at the oh-so-fun rest stops.

I met great people. I enjoyed laughs and tears with old and new friends. I raised over $7000 (and with the other 2800 riders, a total of $11 million!). I swore the first four days that I'd never do it again... then donned a red dress as is traditional on day five and suddenly every mile seemed a lot easier. Stopping for margaritas just a few miles short of the finish line was incredible... the delicious knowledge that we had MADE IT!

Here are a few pics... and if you've never done something like the LifeCycle, do it. I was humbled by so many of my fellow cyclists: men and women 20 years older than me, 100 lbs or more heavier, HIV+, etc. It is truly amazing what people are capable of when they believe in something.


Riding my bike

Stopping for a quick swim

At a rest stop

Candelight vigil on the beach

We made it!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home